The Cannonball Brigade has spoken. We have a new 5K Challenge. I'll let the awesome Prisco explain the rules:
"In honor of the winner of the last 5K, Miss Genny (also Rusty), we are declaring a new 5K for the month of April. Starting April 15th (Tax Day for those fortunate US Citizens) through April 29th, we're to read five books of our own choosing. The catch, cooked up by our fiendish redhead, is it's a genre relay. You must choose one title from each of the following categories:
To the victor goes the spoils, which means you get the dictate the terms of the next 5K, which will most likely be in June. It starts soon, so get to plotting, plotz!"
Compared to the last 5K (5 400-page-books-in-two-weeks-Prisco-is-insane), it should be relatively simple.
My list (open to change):
1. Fiction: 'Wicked' by Gregory Maguire. This is a re-read, but I got a lot of good feedback for my review of 'Confessions of An Ugly Stepsister', a lot of which included criticism for Wicked. So I think I'll give it another chance and review it properly.
2. Non-Fiction: 'Tiburcio Carias; Portrait of an Era' by Mario R. Argueta. A book about a hugely important era in Honduran history, that I know woefully little about.
3. Fantasy: 'The Golden Compass' by Philip Pullman. I'm really looking forward to this one. Another recommendation from the Pajiba list.
4. Biography: 'Teacher Man' by Frank McCourt. The third part of the author's memoirs, where he deals with his teaching career.
5. Romance: Either 'Outlander' by Diana Gabaldon or 'Cry Wolf' by Tami Hoag. It'll probably be the Hoag one (I reviewed one of her books before. Hilarious. And bad.), because the Gabaldon is HUGE. I think I'll review the Outlander books after the 5K.
I'm about halfway trough 'Wicked'. It's really great so far, but I recall it getting stranger as it goes on. We shall see. Stay tuned for the reviews!
And if you're not into the reviews, there will be a video featuring cute dogs AND another Sunday Hot Post to look forward to this week. There's something for everyone here at figgyland. Figgytopia.