Monday, October 3, 2011

Book 27: "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole

I'll make this a short one. Both because I need to catch up on reviews and because I honestly don't remember much of this book at all. Didn't make much of an impact, to be honest.

I think this ended up on my library list after I asked Pajiba for recommendations on books that were funny. This one was at the top of many lists, so I decided to give it a book. I needed a good laugh after the drearyness of The Road.

Now, it's been a while since I read it, but I don't rememeber it being that funny. I remember a few laugh-out-loud moments, but for the most part the book was just very absurd in its characters and situations. More silly than hilarious, if that makes any sense.

The story centers around the sad adventures of Ignatius J Reilly, a hideous, fat, lazy loser in his 40s who still lives with his miserable mother. He spends his days in his room and refuses to get a job, insisting he's too smart and capable for most mundane occupations. No one understands his genius, so he spends hours writing ridiculous papers and treatises that no one will read. When his mother makes him go out and get a job he ends up trying out several of them, all of which he fails at in ridiculous and somtimes hilarious ways. The story just gets progressively more absurd and ridiculous, and all the characters exist in a bizarre world where everyone is equally insane.

So, if you enjoy absurdist comedy and reading stories that don't make a whole lot of sense, you'll enjoy this. You'll probably crack up several times. I found it a little hard to read. Funny in parts, but on the whole just kind of messy. I guess I like my books to have more of a center that I can hold on to.

I apologize for the half-assed review, but I'm really just wanting to move on to books I actually liked.

No comments: