Sunday, March 29, 2009

Movies I've Watched: 'Sweeney Todd'

I've seen this before. Where? Oh, right, every Tim Burton movie EVER


I don't really have a lot to say about this one.

Except this:

Tim Burton, please get over yourself. Cast some diferent people, for the love of pete. This has got to the point where all it makes me think of is that annoying couple of kids in high school who ALWAYS got cast as leads in the school plays because they were best buds with the directors and each other. After the first two, you just didn't want to see those kids in a play again. I am sick to death of seeing Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter in your movies. I think they're both good actors, but I'm sick of seeing only them in your movies. Do you not have any other friends?

And it's too bad, because this is a musical with some seriously great songs. The supporting actors do fantastic jobs in their roles (the kid and Sasha Baron Cohen particularly). It's a terribly violent film, yes, but it could've been a great piece of bizarre musical cinema. Unfortunately, Burton just turns it into Another Burton Movie. We've seen all this many, many times before. And frankly, it's just boring now.

I'm really quite sick of Tim Burton and his buddies.

2 comments:

Anna von Beaverplatz said...

You know, Figgy, I was all set to disagree with you. I love Tim Burton, I love Johnny Depp, and strangely, I even love HBC (even though I loved Lisa Marie more and was so mad when he dumped her for HBC).
But I don't think I can. I think you're right. My sister and I saw this in the theater and we enjoyed it, -ish, but there was something we didn't really enjoy. Maybe that was it. (Though for my sister, who is an enormous fan of the stage show, and who majored in Musical Theater in college, the differences might have had something to do with it.)

Damn! I really want to argue, such is my deep love for Burton. But I just can't.

Mike Reyes said...

Seconded on the Sweeney todd disappointment. I was expecting a good time, and all I got was an ok time. I don't know what I was expecting, but whatever it was it didn't really happen. Plus, I found that it's one of those musicals you really can't listen to too many times. It just tires out rather quickly. (The Producers, on the other hand, I could listen to over and over again, so take that bias into account.)